We have all seen the commercials and heard the warnings about the silent killer carbon monoxide, but how many of us turn a deaf ear because we have heard it too many times? While it’s easy to do, we should always keep carbon monoxide warnings in mind, especially since many of us have gas burning appliances, furnaces, and fireplaces. These all have the potential to leak this deadly chemical. The best, safest prevention comes in the form of regular HVAC inspection and detectors.
Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, headache, tiredness, vomiting, and nausea. Low levels can even increase your risk of heart disease. With 20,000 to 30,000 people sickened in the US every year and 500 dying, the CDC reports that only 30% of American homes have carbon monoxide alarms, and even less have their HVAC regularly inspected.
There are many different types of carbon monoxide detectors to choose from. Some are hardwired into your home’s power supply and come with battery backup. One type plugs into an outlet and needs to be placed at eye level, which is problematic as most outlets are too close to the floor. Another option is a detector that combines smoke and CO detection, yet some experts are skeptical of this device’s effectiveness since the ideal location for smoke detection (a ceiling) is not the same as CO detection (a wall). The last type of CO detectors are the ones that safety inspectors, like LCS, trust and use. These detectors rely on the same industrial grade detectors that fire departments, pilots, and home inspectors use.
LCS is your first line of defense when it comes to carbon monoxide poisoning, HVAC and chimney inspections. Our comprehensive inspection of your systems will alert you any potential leak of carbon monoxide, and we will always be armed with a solution. If you have any questions or concerns about CO poisoning, call LCS at (417) 883-5220 or toll-free (888) 883-5220 for your free inspection and carbon monoxide testing.